Chagall’s America Windows
This is a project for kids of 7 years old and up. Younger kids can do this with adult‘s help.
Project takes about 30 – 40 minutes.
This project was inspired by Marc Chagall masterpiece “America Windows”.
Materials: Plastic forms of various size (plastic plate, plastic box from food etc.), three or more bottles of mod podge 2 oz. each, three or more squeeze bottle of food color, sticky craft felt sheet in BLACK color, scissors, brush.
- Step 1. Prepare materials
- Step 2. Decide what you want to make. If it has a border like a center of plastic plate it doesn’t need other border around you project. Otherwise you should make a border around you project. We made one stained glass from a plastic plate and another stained glass from a plastic packaging.
- Steps 3 – 4. Cut borders out of felt. You can do any shapes like heart, circles, ovals, or bands. Note: for better result make simple shapes that do not have a lot of corners.
- Steps 5-6. Apply the cut border to the plastic and cut the plastic around it.
- Steps 7- 8. Apply the cut shapes and strips to the center of the glass. Note: The center part should have many windows and each window must have borders as shown on the pictures.
- Steps 9-11. Make the dye. Add two-three drops of food coloring to each bottle of Mod Podge. Shake the bottle well. You can use one color for each bottle or mix two or more colors to make new colors.
- Steps 12-13. Apply one color to each window as shown in the picture. Note: You have to make a thick layer of colored Mod Podge.
- Step 14 – 15. Spread the dye within each window with a brash as shown in the picture. Note: Make thick layers. No thin layers!
- Step 16. Dry for one or two days.