Hat with flowers
This is a project for kids of 7 years old and up. I recommend helping children with the base of the hat. Younger kids can do decoration part of the project.
Project takes about 30 – 40 minutes.
This project was inspired by Pierre-Auguste Renoir masterpiece Two Sisters.
Materials: To make a hat base you will need a dinner-sized (9”) paper plate, a bowl paper plate, two sheets of tissue paper, scissors, and glue. For decoration you can use feathers, pipe cleaners, foam sheets, foam flowers, bottoms, pompoms, stickers etc. Optional: ribbon, single-hole punch, headband.
Note: if you want to wear the hat you should make it hold on to the head. To do that, use a ribbon and/or a headband.
- Step 1. Prepare materials.
- Steps 2 – 4. Use one dinner paper plate and one bowl paper plate. Cut a hole in the center of the dinner plate as shown in the pictures. Note: You have to make a hole big enough to fit one plate to another.
- Steps 5-8. Glue one tissue sheet on the middle and around of the bowl plate as shown in the picture. And a second tissue paper in the same direction.
- Steps 9-12. Put above a circle of the dinner plate, cut extra tissue paper at the corners, tuck the paper as shown on the picture and glue it. the paper as shown in the picture and glue it.
You hat is ready! Next steps are decorating.
- Steps 13-19. Punch holes on the opposite sides of your hat and threading the ribbon. You can use the same holes for piper cleaners and decoration your hat with flowers. Decorate your hat your own way.